Okay – I promise, after this recipe…no more peppers, for awhile.
Stuffed pepper recipes can be as varied as pasta recipes, so I allowed some creativity to rule the kitchen last night; paprika, bacon, etc. The result was indeed…yummy. DH wasn’t too thrilled with the extra heat, but then…his newly pulled molar was a bit cranky, poor thing.
Paprika Stuffed Peppers
-4 green bell peppers
-1 C. cooked brown rice
-1 small can tomatoe paste
-1 can stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
-1/2 large onion
-1+1/2 C water (beef or chicken broth would work well.
-2 slices peppered bacon
-1/2 pound ground turkey
-2 to 4 tbsp paprika
–Generous sprinkle Parmesan/Asiago/Romano graded cheese (Graded cheddar or other cheese will work)
-sprinkles of garlic powder, onion powder, parsley flakes,salt, whole ground black pepper, red pepper flakes
- -Mince and fry bacon; drain, pat away remaining saturated fat with paper towels.Set aside.
- -Fry and break up turkey into small pieces. Mix in with bacon. Set aside.
- -Saute onion and a little green pepper finely chopped from cut-off tops.
- -When cooked al-dente, add in tomatoes, paste and cooked meats; add seasonings and water (or broth); simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes to blend flavors. Put about 1/3 of this veggie, tomatoe mix aside.
- -Add in cooked rice to remaining 2/3 veggie mixture; mix well.
- -Fill peppers to overflowing.
- -Put into deep dish; cover with remaining tomatoe/veggie sauce mix.
- -Bake 400 degrees about 30 to 45 minutes.
- -About 10 minutes before removing from oven, sprinkle Parmesan/Asiago/Romano graded cheese over peppers. For a more southwest flavor, graded cheddar or other cheese would be yummy.
There are many other stuffed pepper recipes out there. Send us your favorite or maybe a new one you found at a recent pot-luck or barbecue.
I recall reading somewhere that a stuffed pepper recipe called for pre-cooking the peppers before stuffing; if you have knowledge or experience with this, please let us know.
Enjoy! Tell us how you fared with this recipe. Leave a comment; send us an e-mail.
Thanks for stopping by.
As always, Nature prevails.