It isn’t fall yet if you haven’t come home to chocolate chip pumpkin bread baking in the oven. In fact, we often make this as a dessert or after dinner treat. It’s also popular with the ladies who come for Friday morning Tea and Books. In fact, there’s a nice batch sitting in the pantry waiting to be mixed up for tomorrow’s event, now that all the autumn decorating is done!
Jan’s Spicy Nut Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 (15 ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil (we prefer olive oil)
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray three 9×5 inch clay loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
3. Whisk together first 7 ingredients and set aside.
4. In mixer bowl, cream sugars, pumpkin, oil, water, vanilla and eggs. Blend until smooth, scraping down sides often.
5. Carefully blend in flour mixture.
6. Add in chocolate chips and nuts.
7. Divide batter between three loaf pans.
8. Bake for 60 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
9. Allow pans to rest on wire rack for 15 minutes.
10. Go around edge of pan with knife and remove loaves from pan.
11. Cool completely before slicing.
This bread is spectacular wrapped and chilled or frozen as gifts for the holidays. You’ll LOVE these loaves! Don’t forget to share!
For gift giving, I like to sprinkle the top of loaves liberally with cinnamon and sugar before baking. I often bake these into 9 small loaf pans instead of three regular size loaf pans for giving away.
If you’re into the trendy – add bacon to everything. This is the perfect recipe to add a cup of fried, broken and drained bacon bits to. Just make sure there’s no oil left on your bacon and add it to the batter before you bake these loaves. There’s an intense flavor change when you add bacon to these substantial loaves.